Friday, February 1, 2008

Day 79

It was very emotional for Stan to say good bye to Cheri. Pete "propped" him up later, telling him it wasn't going to be the last time he sees her. She'll be back! We are all so glad she was able to come.

Kathy learned that Cheri enjoyed beading and brought a "ton" of beads to the hospital for her. Someone had given them to Kathy, who will "never" bead.
heehee.... Cheri invited Katrina and Ashley to share with her.........so there will be a lot of beading projects going on in the Knowlton family!! We sat around a table in the hospital dining area and "divided up" the loot. (Hospital dining rooms are certainly useful areas!)

Stan continues to help me feed him. He loves having the little boys around. He plays catch with them....and the big boys and girls, too. It is amazing how adept he is at tossing the ball toward the person he chooses. He just doesn't always warn us when he is changing "receivers." (Hey...I just used a football term! Must be getting ready for Super Bowl!)

Pete and I plan to do the 24 hour care thing starting at 7p.m. Sunday to 7p.m. Monday. We couldn't do it Friday because Pete wants to attend the "dangerous men's breakfast" on Saturday morning. Ditto for Saturday, because we'd have to miss church on Sunday. Mostly what I need to learn is schedule and amounts of meds.......

There continues to be lots of reasons that I can't wait to get him home. It is so difficult to see him uncomfortable or just plain hurting because someone isn't aware that certain things need to be checked. I.E. last night his "stomach" hurt. I found his "britches" pulled so tight he could hardly breathe. And earlier, I found his "bad arm" tucked in such a way it could be injured, but he couldn't really feel it to tell anyone. The nurse last night who gave him his meds in the tube did so by "gravity" which is the right way to do it. But I have watched many many give them to him by "plunging" them in to the tube. I remember a nurse in Regional saying they should go in by gravity....but this takes a lot longer, and help is "short." So, I will be glad to have control over these kinds of things.

So....that said, I'd better get the house ready to receive him! (Rick E. is going to take me to meet and visit with a dear wife who has been caring for her husband for over 15 years. I know she will have invaluable info for me.)

Love, M

No comments: