Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day 78

I had exciting news today! The Case Manager came in to talk to me. I am supposed to choose one of the family to spend 24 hours with me doing all of Stan's care at the hospital so they can be sure we know what to do for him when he goes home. She then asked me, "How about Friday?" It was exciting and shocking. I thought she was saying he would be going home then, and I have to get the house ready for him...including equipment, moving furniture to make a place for his bed, etc. It is my goal, but impossible to do those things and be at the hospital more than 12 hours per day, too. I had been trying to get my "ducks in a row" and felt like I was spinning my wheels. But then she told me that SHE would put in the order for the "cherry picker" lift thing and a bed. I had no idea I would qualify for the lift or that medicare provided a bed. This is great news, and I am assuming they will be delivered...which will be very nice. I need to get BUSY right now and clear out the living room for him. Hallelujah!! She said that it would be about ten days before he will be discharged. Amazing, huh!!!

I am not afraid of what his care will be....but am apprehensive about doctor visits. She did tell me that Transcare is a good source for that for just $35 per trip. I need to talk to Pat Watkins about how they manage these things. There is so much I do not know!!

She also told me that a nurse would come once a week to check how he is doing, and that I could have Home Health Care come to help bathe him, etc.

I know he will be glad to get home, and I will be very glad to not be leaving home everyday.

He is doing very well with his eating. I learned that he is now off the tube feeding at night, but the tube may stay in for me to give him his meds. I do hope the pic comes out of his arm. I don't think he will be having blood drawn regularly at home. I know all too well how to check his blood sugar levels.

I did have him wear his teeth during dinner, even tho the food was pureed. We were told his gums would change and they wouldn't fit anymore if he left them out too long. I don't want that to happen....and neither does he. He was willing... He doesn't like them mostly because he bites his lip.... but he was doing that before the stroke, too.

Cheri leaves tonight. We will miss her, but we are so thankful she was able to be here and know how her dad is doing. He got teary, already "missing" her. He really relaxed with her foot rubs.

He keeps saying his hip is "out of place." I know it hurts, but I think he heard James tell me how to turn him on his side...and cautioning me to not pull on his leg a certain way or it could pull his hip out of place. It is only since then that Stan has been saying this. I am trying to think up a way to roll him on his side that will be "kinder and gentler" than how it is done at the hospital, because it does hurt, and it has to be done every two hours...plus when he is changed...so it is a lot of pushing and pulling.

The heart is still intact out his window....and I think the pictures I took yesterday will turn out very well. Before the gray sky made the snow look rather flat, but the sun was out yesterday and the heart stood out clearly.

Oh.... I fed him one of Birdie's truffles after dinner last night.....he said it "melted in his mouth!" Thanks again, Birdie. And then Brian brought him a chocolate malt shake from the DQ....and he drank about half of it.

Heehee...when the nurse last night was showing me how the feeding tube works, she said that I needed to make sure stuff didn't set in the outer tube and clog it up. Then she said if that happened, a good way to clean it would be to use some soda....like Coke! Does anyone think he'll object to THAT???

Love, M

No comments: