Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day 66

Today was not the best day of the rest of my life. As we were leaving to go to the hospital, Cheri slipped on the snow on our steps and fell. She hurt her hip/back area and is hurting quite a bit. We dropped her and Isaac off at the ER because I had to get to Stan's hospital for the meeting. I had called and got an appt for today, and had Andy and Grace on their way and Brian scheduled to meet us there, too.

When I got to Stan he was eating lunch....John T was feeding him...what a guy!! Thanks, John. Unfortunately, the meat and potatoes were so dry that he couldn't manage them at all. He did eat his bananas, and then the speech therapist came in and got him some Glucerna to drink to make up the nutrients and calories he needs. When she asked him "what flavor" he liked, of course he said, CHOCOLATE. He had only had a couple of sips when the OT came in to put him back in bed. I am very sorry to report she is still not my favorite person, but I am praying about it. She did not have the bed and chair level, but proceeded anyway. John and I were standing on the far side of the bed, ready to assist as needed. I hadn't realized that Stan's cathetar tube and bag were caught between the bed and the chair. I usually guide them when I am there and he is being moved. John and I were told to pull on the handles while she and the speech gal pushed....there was a "POP" and Stan's cathetar broke. As it turned out, when the tube broke, the balloon deflated....and it was easily pulled out....after much discussion and fiddling around. Kathy said if it had pulled OUT instead of breaking there would have been screaming (Stan) and Blood (Stan's) so I am very glad it BROKE. I don't know if they will put in a new one or not. He prefers NOT.

The meeting was to have us hear what the OT, RT, and speech therpist had to say about Stan's progress. Also to let us know that they weren't "kicking" him out. I guess he will have to get out of ICU first. I don't think I knew he was still an ICU patient......

The Case Manager did tell us that he could stay as long as there was a medical need. He can't be there just because he can't feed himself or dress himself. I am still little confused about the OT's and RT's expecting his physical progress to mirror his respiratory progress. Guess he will just have to "show them."

Some of his IBEW buddies came today....Friday is "Aloha" shirt day....something Stan instigated years ago, and some of the guys still do it. So I took a shirt of Stan's to the hospital, and Brian put it on him. I was fetching Cheri and Isaac and didn't get to take a pix of him and a friend in their Hawaiian shirts.

I forgot to tell you that yesterday (Thursday) Stan sat up by himself for about 45 seconds. Andy says they tricked him..... they kept telling him to use his stomach and back muscles, etc...finally the PT got in front of him and told him to look her in the eye. He had to lift his head to do so, the OT gently turned loose of his back and he sat there for the 45 second interval. Not bad, huh!! He was braced with his right hand.

Andy and Ashley were there early Thursday because they had just come from the orthodonist....with Ashley's NEW braces.

Our temps have been much warmer the last few days...I saw a 30 today on one temp screen.

If I don't get to bed, YOU will be getting some fun things to read. I will talk to you later....thanks for your faithfulness in reading Stan's undates and praying for him. Pray that we (his kids and wife) will be able to help in his rehab and that he will gain the strength and ability to sit up, and one day WALK. Also, please remember Cheri in prayer.

Love, M

No comments: