Sunday, January 20, 2008

Day 67

It is warmer today. And very beautiful out with "sparkles" on the snow. Driving home tonight we could see as "plain as day" with the lights off. I drove at least a mile that way on our road. (Don't tell anyone....it probably isn't "legal.") I used to be awed by this "phenom" when I would come home from work at 2 or 3 in the wintertime morning. I would turn the lights off for 2 seconds to check it out. It really is pretty.

When I got to the hospital this morning Stan was really tired. I tried to talk him into taking a nap, but his "talking" was on automatic pilot. I don't think he ever did manage to get that nap taken. I didn't get there in time for bfst, but I was told he ate 90% of it. He did really good on his lunch and dinner, too. But they were certainly strange meals. Lunch was some chopped pasta, and what looked like turkey dressing with a yellowish creamy sauce over both. I did ask for extra of the sauce as the "dressing" was pretty dry without it. Pete thinks there was some chicken or something in the "dressing." It did have a good flavor and Stan kept saying how good it was. He also had some mixed vegetables which he also seemed to like just fine.....and some finely chopped peaches. Dinner was really sparse! A pile of finely chopped ham, and small bowl of finely chopped green beans, and a small bowl of a creamy soup....??flavor??. No fruit, jello, pudding...nada. He had been "begging" for another one of his truffles (from Birdie the day before), so I told him if he ate his dinner, I'd get him one. He earned it...and I was carving off thin slices of chocolate for him. His teeth bothered him and he popped the lower ones out on the bed....getting a chocolate mess on the white sheet!! Since I don't really have "permission" for the truffle...I told him he had to ask me to take his teeth when he was done with them, and not make a mess and get me in trouble. (I changed the sheet and a pillow case, and then he pointed out that I had some on my shirt, too! ) Later he kept insisting he wanted an Ambien so he could sleep. I thought he was remembering what his doctor gave him before his stroke, and so I kept telling him "no way." Boy did we lock horns on that one....and guess what!! The nurse came in and said she would give him two tonight because one last night didn't really do any good. (so....his brain is working just fine and I better not argue with him....he WILL win!!) I am still surprised...he seems to have sleep apnea so that they have been concerned about him being too deep in sleep without the oxygen etc now to take any sleep aid. But they are giving him oxycodone and benedryl at night...both make him sleepy...so if he gets Ambien on top of that.... Scary!

He really seems to be uncomfortable with his right hand. He tells me it is in the way and he doesn't know what to do with it. I am not sure what is happening to his "good" side. He also complained a lot about his right leg ..like someone was pulling the hairs on it. Cheri was rubbing his left arm and he was able to tell her "where" she was touching. Later she massaged his feet a lot, and he seemed to really like that. He kept saying that Brian would come make him comfortable! Brian, Pete, and Cannon went to Andy's in Wasilla for dinner, but they did come back by the hospital at 11:30p.m. Cheri and I waited for them and then Pete and Cannon rode home with us....and Brian is still there.

This morning before coming to the hospital, Pete and Cheri both went to the chiropracter. Pete, because of the rear ender, and Cheri, because of her fall. Both seemed to benefit from the visit. Cheri said the xrays showed she had "adjusted" her hips a good two inches out of whack. The doc "readjusted" them back in whack (does anyone know what "whack" is???) John T told her she could tell her husband he now had a "well adjusted" wife. She does seem to feel much better after....PTL

They did not reinsert the cathetar....he is having to make another adjustment to life in bed now.

He is really doing a good job of holding his head up while he eats. This is NEW. We used to have to hold it up for him....as he needs to be upright (sitting position) to eat, and his head seemed to weigh a ton and would fall forward. I am amazed at that progress. He sat up so straight for both meals today. Back against the bed of course.

I think he was a bit discouraged today....he said something like, "I'm an invalid, aren't I?" It is our job to assure him that he is getting better and will continue to do so. (Interesting that Molly's email today was dealing with "discouragement.")

One thing I don't understand....today he mentioned more than once how bad it hurt in his left side ribs to cough. I worry that the sling may have injured him. The one they used for his last shower was small and tight.

On a happier note...he continues to state his "one liners." He is a card, he even walks with a shuffle. He is in the state of confusion. etc.... And he did LOVE the truffle. He also indulged in a bit of Coke. Water is now okay, but it does seem to choke him easily.

We are going to do our best to help him have the independence of movement....whether walking or riding.... He IS a living testimony to the power of prayer!!

Blessings.........M

No comments: