Monday, January 7, 2008

Day 54

Sometimes I think I am losing count!!! I stayed until after midnight last night, so didn't have the energy to stay awake to write.

I had a few interesting emails this morning.......... one (from my Molly) suggesting a snowman be built outside Stan's window. There is enough snow there, but I'm not sure if it will stick together, but I intend to find out!!

Another (from my nephew Steve in AZ) told about his friend's dad who had a stroke in October. Here is a quote from Steve....

. "Joe is probably 20 years older than Stan. He was an Army Intelligence Officer just after WWII, and spent his entire life working for the Government. Chris went to visit Joe, who is recovering in a care facility, he has his wits, can speak pretty well, but cannot walk. Aides move him to his chair and back. Joe is a little confused about his condition. He asked Chris how he got in so easily, said the warden kept him under close guard.

Anyway thought you could relate, it was cute. Joe really thinks he's in a prison.

I'm glad Stan is progressing well, sitting up should be good for his lungs. It's not doubt that Stan can out joke everybody in the room, he already knew the punch line to any joke I ever tried to tell him. "

Stan said just last night that the hospital he is in is "easy to get into, but hard to get out of." I am sure he feels like he is in prison, too.

Okay...here's the way he gets in and out of the chair......
The aides place a non inflated air mattress under him in the bed......they do this by rolling him to one side, placing it up against his back side, rolling him onto it, and then pulling it on under him. Then using a large vacuum cleaner looking hose, they inflate the "raft." It is very strong and inflates in seconds. Then, putting the chair flat and of course the bed is flat, and having them at the same level, Stan and mattress (it has handles along its side) is pulled over onto the chair. Then it is deflated and the chair is positioned to fit Stan's comfort. (Which means repositioning it several times during the 90 or so minutes he is able to stay up.) Then the process is done in reverse to put him back into bed. Pretty ingenious....

He did stay in the chair for a good hour and a half Sunday. He is holding his head up better, but it does get tired. Paula brought him a lovely white satin "bone" shaped neck pillow...and I do believe it is just the "ticket" for neck comfort. (John snuck out and threw a snow ball this time!)

His hips and knees get more painful......... Pete had me bring his ReLiv for the doctor to check out. She decided on "not now" because certain ingredients will counteract with his COUMADIN! We didn't know he was on it!! She explained the reasons.........I am hoping to find a better solution!! But the risk of a clot is greater than the risk of another bleed right now.

God does work in "mysterious ways" ... or you might say His timing is heavenly!!! Just last night I received an email from my brother in law with an attachment (two pictures of me playing while Audrey from Tulsa is singing) and a note from Audrey with her email address attached!! Audrey was "my pharmaceudical source for homeopathic meds/ natural meds/ (you know what I mean!!) in Tulsa. She uses a lot of the things Julie got from her alternative med doctor. I am going to email her and ask about things that thin the blood other than these drugs.

Stan is TALKING... I mean, almost NON stop. I tried to get him to relax his tongue because when you can completely relax your tongue, all your muscles are relaxed. It is the LAST muscle to relax.... it has been a huge help to me especially during labor contractions...... but it is not easy. You have to really concentrate on it...float it in your mouth...so you can't be thinking about other things and you certainly can't be TALKING. This guy wouldn't "shut up."
He tried, and you could feel it start to help, but he just has a lot of talking to catch up on!!!

It is now 9 a.m. and I want to get there soon, so I better let this suffice for now. I need to find gloves if I plan to try the snow man construction! Kathy, bring some gloves!!! You can help me. Anyone else want to help??

Love, M

No comments: