Saturday, December 29, 2007

Day 45

What a day!! I was supposed to "sleep in" and Pete and Andy were going to be with Stan early. I got a call from Andy (when I was in the shower!) telling me he was sick, and Pete was on his way to Anchorage with Isaac....to take Isaac to the doctor. (I just talked to Grace....it is Sat. morn now, and Katrina is the only member of their family NOT sick!)

Next Pete called me from St. Elias, asking if they'd called and told me Stan was being transferred back to Regional for some tests. I said, "No." He said Stan's room was empty, and that he'd be at Regional for quite awhile. So I hurriedly got ready and went to Regional....parked (always a problem there), went to three desks to find where they had Stan...each had a line!... and when I asked if I could go see him, was told he was being transported back to St. Elias at that moment. SOOOO, back to the car and St. Elias!!

Bad news... because his "good" hand was so swollen, they suspected a clot, and it was confirmed by the exam at Regional. It is a large one in his upper right arm. NO exercising or massaging or BP taking, etc. on that arm!!! They cannot put in a filter for that clot, so said there was no other alternative except blood thinners for treatment.

The road is rough enough without all the potholes!!! This is more than a bump!!

Good news!! I HEARD him say Hi to the Nelsons! AND the nurse told me he was reaching with his right hand, and I saw it at least four times last night. He wants to scratch his nose (or something) but can't quite reach his face. But it is a BIG WOW!!

I need to get going on the run NOW. I let myself sleep until I woke up....midnight to 8 a.m. ... UNBELIEVABLE.... eight whole hours...but now I find no one was able to get there early, so need to get going.

I had to stop an aide from using the BP cuff on his right arm yesterday. They did put up a large note behind his bed after that, but will anyone see it??? I know the night people were careful, because I stayed until after 11 to make sure.

Please do pray that this clot will dissolve with the meds they have given him, and he won't bleed again! Thank you!!

Love, M

No comments: