Thursday, December 27, 2007

Day 43

Today has been a busy day....full of surprises and changes... I am not sure whether this has all been good, or some bad.

I arrived at the hospital to be shocked by an empty room with NO sign of Stan or his bed. I discovered he had just been taken for another MRI. I had no idea one had been ordered for today, and didn't understand "why" since he had had his first one just nine days ago. He has been waking up so dramatically, but I didn't think he would require an MRI to "judge" just how he was doing. As near as I could discover, he was being checked for an abscess in his brain. Apparently because his staph infection is in the blood, they want to rule out the possibility of it infecting his brain. I was told that judging by his improvement happening in such "leaps and bounds" that there is a good indication that NO abscess exists, but they felt the need to be sure. I hope to get results tomorrow (thursday).

I was told by the nurse that a young man who said he had served much of his electrical apprenticeship under Stan's guidance had gone with him to the MRI area. Hearing her description of him, I narrowed my choices down to Carl and Larry.... and after asking my last question, dark hair or light...I decided it was Carl, and I was right! He was in the waiting room and Stan was "waiting" in the MRI room for another patient to finish. Carl and I were allowed in to watch. "Big" Dave did this one, since "our" Dave is vacationing in Florida! (Now that Stan is awake and aware, I was so thankful that Carl had been there to visit with him and tell him what was going on as he went to have the MRI.)

We were barely back in the room and getting Stan settled in, when the person in charge of social service or transfer or whatever department it is, came to let me know that St. Elias and the doctor had decided today was the day for Stan's transfer. It took a little longer to get the entire move underway. I was first told 2, then said probably 2:30.....and the nurse said that means more like 3.... He was given a bath so he could arrive all spiffied up, but still wasn't shaved. I had asked if he could be shaved for Christmas. (He STILL isn't shaved, but maybe by morning.)

Lots of "goings and comings" and I hate to start naming names, because as sure as I do, I manage to miss someone....and ALL of you are so very important and loved.

But it was neat to find Angie sitting in his room after the MRI, and to have Kathy come and take charge in her own special way that never fails to really be a help to me. She organized all the stuff that I could take from his room for use later at home, and found the plastic bags that were needed for the transfer of his stuff...i.e. the bouquet from United that is still very nice after a week. Here is Alaska they need to be protected before shocking them with the brrrrry cold weather.

Stan was strapped down, kissed (by me) and fussed over, and sent on his way with his ambulance buddies to ride a few miles away. BUT before he left his room he had a pretty special visitor! Shelby's little cousin, Kiana almost six months!, (here to visit G'pa and G'ma Titus) was held in his range of view, and I know he enjoyed seeing her. And Shelby, who is not real fond of the hospital scene but likes to come see "Mrs. Stan" (and the guy who draws pictures for her)....went twice to peek at Mr. Stan.

Kathy and I were laden with bags, but still managed to check out the gift shop before leaving the hospital because there were signs all over saying "50% off sale"!! What I had admired a couple of days ago, was gone...so I was saved a bit of money. But I still managed to get a few "trinkets" for the grandkids. It was only the Christmas stuff on sale, of course.

When we got off the elevator, John and Paula were there just ready to go visit Stan....so we were able to head them in the right direction...meaning out side to their car and over to SESH (St. Elias Speciality Hospital...from now on to be SESH!)

(You do realize that Shelby and Kiana didn't come alone!!) The first Angie mentioned is MY Angie. Kiana's mother is Deryl and Kelly's Angie, her Uncle John, Shelby's mommy Mandy, and of course G'ma (Kelly). So....adding John, Angie, and Kiana...we have reached 124 visitors.

Another interesting bit of trivia...Kathy asked the nurse if he knew who St. Elias was saint OF. His statement led us to ask where he went to church. Turns out he attends Faith (originally Gov't Hill, later Parkside, now Faith Christian)...where Stan and I attended for more than 18 years. We figured out we'd attended together for about five years before Stan and I changed to CCA. What a small world!! Oh, and he asked me to remember him to you, Wayne (Dr. Bigelow). His name is Mike Hayes.

As Stan was getting settled into SESH, I was coericed into going to eat. John, Paula, and Scott joined Kathy and me at the Golden Corral buffet. We had a good meal, and then sat and talked church and Bible etc for a couple of hours!! John drew the tabernacle on a napkin and explained the types...shadow and substance...and meanings relating to the plan of salvation of each component of the building, its furnishings, and the court yard to Kathy. He did such a good job, we failed to see the restaurant was empty way before its usual closing time. We did notice a lot of people coming in packing wrapped packages. When we left we saw that the marquee said Closing at 8 for their staff Christmas party. They were very gracious and never hurried us out!! They do get an A+ in friendly service!!

I rode there with Kathy, and when we got back to SESH, she dropped me at the door and left to make sure her hubby was not too lonesome!! Little did she know that I could have been in big trouble SOON.... It was the coldest 16 degrees I have experienced in a long time.

The doors were locked, and unlike the "real hospital" their rules are quite different. It was about five after 9 p.m. and my first day there! I wanted to tell Stan good night and gather up my stuff before heading home. It was then I noticed the sign on the door that says if you come after hours, call "this" number for admittance....

Here is the rather fearsome part..........or could have been...!! What if I hadn't taken the cell phone and/or my car key with me!! A very real possibility, as I had stuck my debit card in my pocket, rather than worry about taking my purse to dinner. I fumbled in my purse for the purse (okay, I'm getting sleepy...that is your fun for the day!)... for the PHONE, managed to punch in the number with frozen fingers, only to be told no one was there, but I could leave a message, etc. I left a message, wondering what to do, decided to go sit in the car and warm up (AFTER it warmed up!)...and try to call again. I was thoroughly frozen in a very short period of time. I really did begin to wonder what would have been my plight if I did not have my key or the cell phone with me!!

I eventually got a response and the door opened.

Inside, I found Stan being cleaned up, as he had vomited over his gown and sheet. He was coughing up lots of gunk, so I suctioned while the nurse cleaned up the other. Another nurse came to help and they bathed him and changed him. His oxygen levels were going down, and the numbers caused lots of beeping, but I could see NO ONE taking any notice. I didn't feel I could go home until I knew his levels were safe ones. Finally, the RT came and did deep suctioning, and his "numbers" improved.

I discovered I have to establish my ability to do things etc. all over again with a new set of caregivers. I was not even allowed to put the pillow cases on the pillows that were there in a stack while they cleaned him. I was always doing this in CCU and PCU....to save the nurses time for other things.

He may be here around four weeks and then, depending on his status, be moved back to Regional for therapy. I hope he improves so fast that the entire town will be impressed by answered prayer!!

I am getting sleepy...so will go to bed!!

Love, M

No comments: