Friday, February 8, 2008

Day 86

Without your prayers, I know I would really be a basket case!!! I don't even want to write an update...it is much too depressing!

I wrote a long email of my concerns, but decided to just send it to myself and not burden you all with it. If anyone really wants to read it, let me know.

I will instead give you a short version of yesterday....

1. I had my appt with the doctor and the case manager. The gist of it was A. Stan cannot go back on pills for his diabetes, but must remain on insulin. B. My concerns about all the meds and the data that says this shouldn't be mixed with that, etc.... was lawyer talk to keep the drug companies from being sued. C. I need to trust the doctor to decide which meds can be combined. D. I need to quit "micromanaging" Stan's care.
E. The doctor thought Stan's head aches were "normal" and did not realize they were just excruiating when he coughed (this was documented by many persons, and many times!)

2. I noticed that his pic line had a little dried blood at the site, but "stopped" micromanaging as per instructions.

3. The doctor ordered a CAT scan for the next day (today)

4. the scan was bumped up to 4 pm yesterday.

5. I had to run some paperwork errands to the IBEW during the afternoon and then I was going home to help get the house ready for tomorrow.
But now I needed to be at the hospital to accompany Stan to Regional for the scan.

6. I got the paperwork done, went to Regional, big fiasco there about where Stan could be "dropped" and who was to order the transport for him back to St. Elias.

7. Pete arrived at hospital about 10;45...I had finally left to go home at 10:30....I talked to him by phone at 11.

8. Some time during the night while Pete was still there, he discovered a large pool of blood under Stan's bad arm....caused by the pic line leaking.

9. I just talked to the case manager by phone.... the scan showed Stan's headache is from sinusitis. I WILL look at the scan myself!

10. No word about the pic line and blood yet. Pete and Andy are at the hospital, but I have no answers yet. At Regional in CCU it was manditory that pic lines only be inserted or removed by a certified person. Not all nurses (or doctors) are certified for this. Was the person who removed Stan's pic after last night's bleed certified???

Stay tuned for further developments....and please please pray for us!!

Thank you...

Love, M

No comments: