Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 64

rather interesting day in a weird sort of way.............. heehee, didn't really mean to rhyme!

Pete had a ten a.m. chiropracter appt....because of the rear end collision. We didn't get started soon enough to drop Isaac, Cannon, and me at the hospital, so we sat in the car and waited.....and waited....and waited.....and.... 2 1/2 hours! Tomorrow he goes again, but NOT us!!

We got to the hospital just as they were putting Stan in the chair for his "sit up" time. And in time to feed him lunch. He did a pretty good job with the lunch....small bits of turkey or chicken with a creamy sauce on them, very dry and not very done potatoes with some sour cream for a topping, asparagus, fruit, and chocolate pudding. He was able to eat the tips of the asparagus, but the rest was very stringy and hard to chew. He did eat what I would call 80%. It took us over an hour and a half to finish, and he was exhausted. Katie read him a funny deer story while he ate...... He was up for three hours in the chair and totally worn out. He went to sleep the second his head hit the pillow. At two thirty a notary from our bank came so I could get power of attorney. That was quite an ordeal. I tried to guide his hand to sign, but he tried too hard to "do it himself" and we came up with something that the notary said "would not do" so we inked his thumbs and printed where he would sign. Jeri T. (IBEW) was there to visit and was our witness.

He had a lot more IBEW visitors today. They hadn't realized he had been moved or that he was awake and talking. It was so neat to see their pleasure in being able to talk to him!!

Yesterday when Larry Bell came...one of the first things he and Stan talked about was Stan's wanting to fire him the first day! It didn't take long for Stan to change his mind about that!! Today someone said Carl should tell Larry he is a better electrician because Stan didn't want to fire him the first day. (They are both pretty neat guys AND good electricians! Of course they are....Stan apprenticed them!!)

I put Kathy to work over dinner. Stan can't hold his head up too well when sitting upright to eat. I often hold it with one hand and feed him with my other, so I asked Kathy to hold his head up for me. That worked so well.....she may avoid meal time.

Pete picked Andy up from work today, and Grace and Luke arrived about the same time the boys did. Luke and Cannon hadn't seen each other for a couple of days....and they played their hearts out together. There is a "closet" that they love to get in and shut the door. If you ask "what fun is that?" you obviously were never two!!! heehee

Stan was so tired again after dinner that he zonked out so completely that we decided to come on home about 7:30 and fix some dinner. Brian was stopping by later to make sure he is settled comfortably. There are instances when arms are left tucked under in very twisted or squeezed ways that he can't move. I will be glad to get him home!!

I did have a visit from his Case Manager today. She wants me to set a time for a family meeting to discuss what next. I was caught by surprise. She said they had their staff meeting and the PT and OT said he was making NO progress. They are with him about five to ten minutes a day....but not even every day, and only for the past week!! Their report of NOT making progress is that he can't get out of bed by himself or dress himself!! When he arrived there 3 weeks ago today, he couldn't do more with his limbs than gently squeeze our hands with his right thumb and he had just opened his eyes three days before! He hadn't said a word until a couple of days AFTER he came. He now talks (all the time!), can wipe his mouth perfectly with a napkin, lift and do circles with his right leg, move his head around, grab the bar to help lift himself, take a drink from a cup with some guidance, eat solid foods, etc. He is doing something new or better every day. I am not sure just how fast they think he should be improving in motor skills. He had a very large bleed to the right side of his brain and was in a coma for six weeks! I find myself wondering if they have no experience with stroke patients and the time frame that it takes to rehabilitate when this much is lost. I will gladly tackle the "job" at home!! I am hoping to have the feeding tube out before taking him home, and perhaps the cathetar, too. He is requesting that be gone! I don't mean to sound upset, but it is rather startling to hear that they feel he has made NO progress!!

I am concerned about administering his drugs, but maybe weaning him off some of that would be good!! He is on five different BP meds....and they say he is now Stable!! I have a good BP machine, Kathy has an oxcimeter (sp?...to check his oxygen levels), and I know I can keep him as clean as they do. I do the feeding, and I do know how to handle "other" personal needs after four years of "training."

I guess I do need lots of extra prayer!! Thank you all so very much. I am so very thankful for every improvement he has made, and I have complete faith he will continue. I hear tale after tale from many of you of people who walked again after a similar stroke! The fact that he is so alert and talkative is a huge plus. Sometimes it takes years, but he is already "years" ahead of where I was told he would be!!!

I will just trust in God to decide how much he will be able to do in the future...

He has a "date" to go hunting on Amok Island as soon as he is able. That is a pretty big modivation!!

Cheri arrives tomorrow just past noon. Thank you Dani and Vance!!!

Love, M

p.s. Molly sent me a song to sing to him!! To the tune of "Do Your Ears Hang Low?"


Did your trach come out? Did your family sing and shout?
Did you know it even happened, what the fuss was all about?
Are you breathing nice and steady? Would you like to eat some trout?

Did your trach . . . come . . . out?


Carl was kind enough to sing it for us today!!! Thank you, Carl!!! (There was a lot of pressure applied!!)

No comments: