Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Day 56

I was too tired to write last night, so it is now Wednesday morning. Stan didn't "fail" us yesterday. He had a couple of exciting things happen.

He had his chocolate pudding...the therapist said he ate about an ounce. He was "too tired" or he could have had more. He did seem more tired yesterday. I have asked if they could let him have a four hour stretch once during the night when he could just sleep if possible. He is poked, prodded, etc all the time, and rolled regularly every two hours.....so it keeps him from getting any of that "deep sleep" they say is important to healing.

We are also concerned about the amount of coumadin he is getting. I didn't even know he was getting it until Monday! The pharmacist came and talked to me yesterday and promised they would check his INR daily and keep us informed of any jumps in his numbers...right now he is at 1.14 ...as opposed to 6.8 when the stroke happened.

Instead of getting into the chair yesterday, they sat him up on the side of the bed. He doesn't have the muscle tone, strength, or balance yet to sit by himself, but he tried. There were people on all sides holding him up, but also having him try to hold himself up. It was a "good" first try.

Last night when they were turning him...not long before I left.... he did something I had been thinking about suggesting, but to my knowledge NO ONE had said anything to him about it yet. There is a "grab bar" hanging above his head...and when they turned him, he reached up and took hold of it and helped in the turning!!!! Oh...and there is one more thing, too. They finally came up with a call button that he can work, and he has successfully "called" for the nurse twice yesterday.

Today he has a "lunch tray" ordered. (all pureed foods, but FOOD!) He has been saying "they don't feed me, I haven't had a bite for three days..." I respond to him that he hasn't had a bite in 53 days!! Now we'll both have to change our tunes. (I thing it was Molly who mentioned one of my favorite songs the other day..."God will make a way, where there seems to be no way...."

God is so good! He's so good to me!!

Love, M

No comments: