Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 6

Dear dear friends and family....

They did a CAT scan of Stan about ten this morning (Tuesday). I stil haven't seen it, but I have received two rather conflicting reports. Stan's nurse told me he saw the scan and it showed improvement. The neurologist talked to me and indicated it showed no change.....which is also good, in that things in his brain weren't worse. I am hoping to see it today (Tuesday).

His pressure numbers have held steadily good all day and so he was taken off the drug that was making him paralyzed. He will be kept heavily sedated for perhaps two more days, so we won't get much response from him even if he can now move. It also may take a day or two for the paralysis drug to leave his system, so for now he remains in a very still, dependant state. He is still on the breathing ventilator, for instance. His doctor tells me he is still VERY sick. They have stopped feeding him through the tube until they resolve some stomach problems.

I was aware of some puffiness in his face in the evening, but my friend tells us this is normal for what is going on.

I don't have any "great" news, but not devastating news at this time either. Hmmmm....great news is that I can now hold his hand quietly.

Cute news is that his nurse, Anne, wasn't getting fresh with Pete when she came into the room and said, "Pedro, my love".........(Stan has often called Pete, Pedro.) She was talking to the nurse she was relieving....that's his name. However, when Pete turned around to see who was "addressing him" she told him she could gaze into his eyes forever, but then she wouldn't get any work done!

I am off to see what today brings.

Love, M

No comments: