Friday, December 21, 2007

Day 37

To you "non" Alaskans.... we had two or three of those really beautiful blue sky white world days this week....they are COLD but so pretty. We were having a "heat wave" when Grace and I left the hospital after midnight last night.... the sign by the hospital said -12C and 12F....interestingly...they hit the same number minus and plus at 12!! This is a lot warmer than the -22C the night before!!

Andy came in and stayed with Stan during the morning so I could try to catch up at home a little. The boys are taking turns doing this, so I have to comply and stay home mornings. I seem to be even more rushed instead of less. I used to get up shower and hit the road. Now I try to get things "done" so still end up hurrying with the "shower and hit the road" part. Bless them.... With their help and Kathy's, I have managed to get packages mailed to OH, WI, MN, and OR. Grace took the cards I bought in October to mail "early" .... and addressed, signed, stamped, and stuck return labels on them for me. Now I need to write a note...especially for those who don't have email and are outside the loop of you who do, so don't know about Stan....and get them mailed. I waivered big time about NOT sending this year. But I hae enjoyed receiving... thank you for taking the time to read my updates, encourage me in so many ways, and keeping Stan in your prayers.

When I got to the hospital, there was the dreaded sign on the door, telling me to see a nurse before entering. I had to gown and glove, as he was again in isolation while they determined if his staph was MRSA. It wasn't long before Dr. Lee came in to talk to Andy and me, and he said he was taking the order of isolation off. Stan does have a new staph pneumonia, tho, and also a bacteria in his blood, so he remains very sick.

He looks "good"......his color is good. Last night when Grace and I were getting ready to leave, his oxygen level was at 88, so I didn't want to leave until I knew he would be okay. I fiddled with his "mask" and suctioned his mouth a little in an attempt to get him to cough and hopefully dislodge any "plug" that might be obstructing his air way. Grace asked how low before the machine would beep. I told her when it got to 84. I did get a medium sized glob with a cough, and his number said 89 for a second. But almost immediately the beeping started and I saw he was at 83. The nurse came right in...the fastest response I've witnessed in 37 days!! The RT also appeared and together we worked on him. The RT did a lot of deep suctioning but his numbers kept going down. The lowest point was 76.... We turned him, pulled him up in bed, etc...turned his oxygen percentage up... He finally went to 90 and the nurse and RT left...telling me to let them know when I was left.

He did dip to 89 some more, so Grace and I were nervous about leaving him....but with kisses and fiddling and I can't remember what else....he reached 91 and 92 pretty stable, so Grace went out to warm both our cars....spoiling ME. (Two nights ago Isaac did this, one night ago I had to do it myself, and so Grace said it was her turn!! I'm glad it was "warm" for her. My night it was minus four, and I sat in the car for 10 to 15 minutes before driving...holding my hands over my mouth so it wouldn't hurt to breathe!)

Speaking of which....I'm going to tell on Kathy!! I told her my nose hairs were a good temp gauge...they freeze at 10F and below, so I can tell if it is below or above ten degrees. I just breathe normally or very shallowly because the cold hurts if you take in a bunch....and the resulting nose freeze IS obvious. She left about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday night and took several BIG breaths on the way to her car....testing my "theory." Thursday her throat is sore and hoarse....and it is all MY fault!! I would say "teehee" except I can't laugh at her hurting!!! So if any of you are tempted to test my theory, just take tiny breaths!!

Grace didn't leave to start the cars until Stan had hit 93 to 94 for a few minutes. When I left, he was pretty stable at 96. PTL

I do NOT know what caused the oxygen levels to drop so suddenly or so stubbornly. That part still has me worried.

He has opened his eyes on occasion....I haven't felt the hand pressure.

Deryl, Tim, and John Toms did pray specifically for him while we all held hands...with him, too...and then Tim anointed him with oil yesterday. As Tim prayed, "this is not to test God" but to try to carry out His will according to the scriptures. There is no "magic" in the oil, but the more I study on the subject, I think the anointing is more of a dedication of the person receiving it. We all appreciate any thoughts any of you may have on it.

My tree outside my window is "decorated" with live birds...rather neat to see... a large one is sitting on the very top like where you would put an angel or a star on your Christmas tree! Just had to share that with you as there are several other birds sitting on lower branches and it just looked decorated!!

I need to get busy and do my rushing around, so I can get to the hospital to see my guy. Brian is there now with him.

He may get to go to St. Elias soon. Dr. Lee wants him a little more stable first. It is a wonderful facility....new, spacious, and beautiful...but also great nursing care and the step above the floor he is on now, we believe. There are too many "goof ups in care" here...i.e. sticking the unsterile tube into his trach....3 times that we observed.

I did have a talk with the nurse who kicked me out yesterday.... and have resolved that issue. She is one of the "best" and has never used the unsterile thing in his trach.

It is 3 minutes to ten and the sky is just getting light, with some really pretty pink swirls of clouds creeping over the mountains. It looks like another gorgeous (cold?) day. Yesterday (Thursday) was a "black and white" picture day...the sky was a solid gray/white and the trees were dark so appeared black where there was no snow. There is heavy snow on the top of the limbs of the spruce, and the alters and birch are totally white. The only color is when you can spot a newspaper orange bag, or a glimpse of someone's colorful house or a light left on, etc. It has its own beauty and I was wishing I had taken the camera! Okay...in the couple minutes I took writing the above paragraph...the sky is now almost solid pink out my window!! I do wish you could all see it!!

Love, M

No comments: