Sunday, December 16, 2007

day 32

And counting!!!!

It is hard to remember what day it is, or how many there have been. It sometimes seems like it all started yesterday...so why am I so tired?? I wish I knew if he could hear me or sense me near him.

I got to the hospital at 8:30 this morning so I wouldn't miss the doctor. She is the neurologist that was very comforting and caring during the first two weeks, before she had to rotate out. I am glad she is the one back on his case, but she came at 8, so I missed seeing her today. However, the nurse did read me her report. At one point she asked me if I wanted her to continue, and of course, I said yes. After she had read all the things I already knew and had observed (i.e. his pupils respond to light, he only responds to pain now in his left foot, he doesn't respond to sound or commands, he doesn't open his eyes, etc.) she then wrote that "prognosis is not good." That is why the nurse asked me.....

She did order an MRI and an EEG for Monday. Hopefully, we'll get some better news from those tests.

Kathy took me to look over a couple of alternative places for when Stan is removed from CCU / ICU unit. He is getting "well" enough that this will happen soon.

She also encouraged me to ask for a Care Conference with the medical staff here. There is one being set up for early in the week. I am to ask questions like "where do we go from here?" Pray for guidance, please.

He DOES continue to heal. He was taken clear off the life support breathing machines today, and was able to breath on his own all day long. He still has oxygen, but no support mechinisms. He has the trach, feeding tube, cathetar, and IV pic....everything else has been removed. It is good to see him without the tubes going down his mouth and nose. He definitely looks more comfortable.

He needs a pedicure....I will try to do that tomorrow.

I do have an actual appt. to see the neurologist tomorrow morning at 8:30.... Today's nurse called and asked for a time that the doctor would be there so I wouldn't miss her. She did tell me to expect to only hear what she had read to me today from the report. I know that, but it will be good to talk to the doctor. She was always very careful to make sure to talk to me each day when she was on call during his first two weeks. And she is the one who gave me her home phone number when she rotated out.

I seem to be repeating myself, so I guess it is bedtime.

Thank you all for your prayers and love!!

Love, M (Yupik Johnny and his brother may get to go home on Tuesday! PTL)

No comments: