Saturday, December 15, 2007

Day 31

I started out the day going to the Native Hospital to check on Phil. He was being released, so I decided I better just wait for him. It took them until noon to get all the paper work, etc ready. I was going to take him home (to get his sax) and then back to school for a final, and THEN finally go to Regional Hosp. to see Stan.
Phil's girlfriend arrived just as we were leaving, so she "took care" of Phil for me. I made it to Stan's hosp. at 12:30.... of course, anxious to be there. I had called before I left home to see how his night went. The nurse was just preparing his first feeding in the stomach tube when I called.

Phil is "fine." Meaning, his esophagus is working, I guess. The second look we thought was scheduled for today (Friday) didn't happen. A different doctor signed him out. His follow up is for sleep apnea (they noticed during his stay) and not for anything to do with the problem he had encountered. So we don't know for sure just why the bite of steak got stuck so firmly. He tells me he did fine on his final in the afternoon.

When I got to Regional I was pretty "shaky," a symptom of my blood sugars hitting rock bottom....so I had to get something to eat. I went to the cafeteria with my body, while my mind was longing to be seeing Stan. As I sat down to eat, I checked my pocket for the cell phone and found it wasn't there. I had to eat...so of course, was on pins and needles wondering where I had lost the phone. I had to go back out to the car, retracing my steps and checking all the way, hoping I didn't have to go back to the other hospital. It had fallen out between the front car seats! So....FINALLY I made it to Stan's room, a complete WRECK!! I had a mini-melt down....mostly because I was asked by staff 3 or 4 times "how are you?" So I guess they now know I am "human."

The RT on duty and Kathy were both very excited that Stan had been taken off the ventilator and put on a BI-PAP machine. It is a step down from the vent. He is breathing with a "push" from the machine. They did try him on just oxygen, but he wouldn't or couldn't breath that way, so they added the "pressure" that this machine gives. I know that is very simplified....but it's the best I can do.

He is "eating" again around the clock. They had turned off the food for almost 18 hours to get ready, to install, and to let the stomach tube settle in.....

He appears to be sleeping very peacefully, he has no sedatives or pain meds at all being administered.

His blotches are no better and no worse. Still a bit of a mystery. His numbers are still "good."

His original neurologist will rotate back in Saturday morning and I will be there early so I can be sure to see her. She was always available to me, even giving me her home phone when she rotated out. The next "set" of neurologists were a brother sister team whom I saw each day. When their rotation ended the brother told me who to expect. (The Santa Claus look a like). He never showed ONCE! I have since had rolled eyes and a guarded comments from some of Stan's doctors and nurses....so I guess we didn't lose anything by NOT seeing him. (Maybe he is busy this time of year, getting ready for his sleigh ride???)

I am told Dr. Madden will be doing a thorough exam. She was never able to do a good assessment of his brain because he was on the induced coma. I am anxious to see her.

I sure do wish he would wake up. I need HIM....

The weather has turned cold (ER) and the sky was bright blue. We had such a beautiful sunset (after a week of grey days) that the RT came to tell me to check out the window. I am glad she did. It was good to see God smiling again.

I am writing this on Saturday morning because I couldn't stay awake last night. Sorry to disappoint those who enjoy my sleepy time additions!! heehee

I am "out the door" to catch the Doctor and get her report. Hopefully, I'll have some good news tonight.

Love, M

No comments: