Sunday, December 9, 2007

Day 26

Boy oh Boy, how the days roll by......

The young man whose mother is dying called over to me as he got off the elevator, and asked me if I remembered him. I told him I knew I should, but had to get closer to really recognize him. His mom is Amy, that I mentioned a couple of days ago. She is still on the verge of having life support turned off.

I checked on Johnny....my little Yupik friend. He said he stayed in the room last night, and I assured him he could again tonight. His brother isn't in the hospital bed, but is in a reclining chair beside the bed. I'm not sure why.... no matter how early or late I see him. The two Yupik girls, Darlene and her cousin, were singing today in their language. They were in very good spirits, too, because Pauline has started waking up and responding to them. She can't talk, but nods her head to their questions. Also, she was taken out of "isolation" today. Those gowns and gloves are a pain.... we only had to do them for about four hours one day for Stan.

Nancy said Eddie is doing so good today that they are taking him off a lot of stuff!! PTL... His improvement started after you all were asked to pray for them.... I told her that for the last two days a lot of people were asking God on his behalf! What a testimony your prayers are!! Thank you...

The mother of the gal that was shot stopped to see me today and ask about Stan. Her daughter is one floor down now...and may get to go home on Thursday. That is a real miracle. The mom was going home tomorrow, but has decided to stay and get her daughter settled at home.

Shelby (age 5) had Brian drawing her more pix today, but I didn't get to see them. They had to leave while I was in Stan's room. Brian draws and she colors them. What a neat set up!! Pete had him draw a fancy truck on his back pack because someone else here had a pack exactly like his.....BUT, no more!!!

There was a soup "potluck" at church today for those who stayed to tear up old carpet. Pete and Kathy said they were exempt from the work, but got to eat some because they were bringing me some!! (Looks like I'm good for something...even if it is just getting them exempt from work!!) (The soups were delicious!!) Gwen, one of your rolls was the perfect companion to the soup. Thank you again!!

Stan's numbers stay stable and good...except for a slight raise in BP today. He has taken pills for his blood pressure for years, and for some reason they took him completely off the meds for it this morning. He was put back on this evening, tho. Otherwise, every machine looks super. He does keep having the hiccups. He gets a little rest from them now and then, but back they come.

Stan's bump on his head (I only had ONE person guess as to how he got it! Could be you are right, Molly!! heehee) disappeared, only leaving a dark red splotch for a couple of days. BUT speaking of red "spots" he has been sporting a few for 3 or 4 days now that are a mystery. "We" think we've solved it, today, but of course don't know for sure. A couple of people were even guessing "shingles," but I really don't hold to that theory. Kathy suggested maybe the doctor who is so mean to his head, whipped him with a belt....That IS what it looks like. What he has is two long narrow red welt looking spots on his left front about navel height from side to mid tum.... they are about two inches wide and maybe 8 inches long...with a completely clear strip between them. On each upper arm he has a welt like spot that is round and about the size of a silver dollar, and another spot below the circle that is about the same width, but twice as long.........with a bare spot between them. They resemble floor burns more than anything else I could suggest. They appeared the day after his last proning....and they seem to get redder and angrier looking each day. They are touching NOTHING for these last few days, often not even a gown or cover. Pete finally suggested today that maybe when they proned him, they used tape to secure his wires and tubes in those spots, and he developed an allergy to the tape. This seems to make sense when you see the clear area between two "rashes" in each place. It looks like a tube or wires were placed where it is clear and then taped on each side to hold them secure while he was turned. It is still a mystery why they keep getting worse, but no one has come up with a better explanation so far....not even doctors or nurses.

I guess I better take the camera tomorrow and photograph them. Wonder why I haven't thought of that before?????

This was day 3 of having all the stuff turned off so he could wake up. I am getting antsy!! No waking today!! But like Scarlet said, "Tomorrow is another day."

I better get to bed so I can be ready to meet it!!!

Love, m






Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Share now!

No comments: