Sunday, December 9, 2007

Day 25

That's a lot of days!!!

Stan has been off all sedatives since yesterday morning, but no sign of waking up yet. I am so anxious to see him look at me again!! I remember a prayer in Psalms where David asked God to make haste to answer him. David is called a "man after God's own heart," so maybe it is okay if I ask God to hurry a little.
(Ps.70:1, 5; Ps.71:12; Ps.141:1)

The little Yupik gentleman seemed so confused about all that is going on in this big place. His brother is still in CCU. I asked him where he is sleeping, and I think he has spent one or two nights in his brother's room. He has a friend here, but the friend's wife is now in the Native hospital having surgery. I had Pete check on getting him a room here on the 7th floor. We got him one for a couple of nights and Stan's nurse wrote his room number down on her hand and assured me she would make sure he knew where to go. Pete and I took him up and showed him the room and gave him the key, but he seemed pretty unsure of what to do. I sure hope he gets a good night's sleep. The bed did not look very comfortable, but it has to be better than the chair in the CCU room. He is 75 years old and doesn't speak the best English. His brother is recovering okay I think, so maybe he'll get out of CCU soon. (or ICU...I don't know what the difference is. Stan is in Critical Care Unit, but the Intensive Care Unit is the same area?????)

Nancy is one "tough" sweet lady. She appreciates your prayers....and so do I. Thank you. Eddie was taken off the paralyzing drug today. I hope he has a good night.

I got a call from our "ring bearer" at our wedding tonight. He mentioned his GRANDCHILDREN!! It is pretty special to get encouragement from all of you....but how about from our flower girl and ring bearer!!! (48+ years ago!!!) Pretty cool, huh!!

Kathy came and enticed me away for lunch today. Andy, Pete, and Isaac joined us at yet another NEW restaurant....Ninos. To all you Anchorage people....I recommend it! I do hate to be gone, tho...what if Stan wakes up and I am NOT there!!

The gifts of food we keep getting are amazing. Carmelita brought me some yummy shortbread type cookies all the way from the Philippines!! I will have to hide them from Pete, and be sure to save one for Stan.

When we went in to tell Stan goodnight, there was Christmas music playing instead of his Bert Kaempfert CD. His nurse told me she and two others were singing to him with it while they bathed him. And she said one eye opened for a second. I haven't seen it yet, but I can still rejoice. Not sure it was "voluntary" tho.

I can't remember if I told you how really great his head "wound" is healing. The scar will hardly show at all, even in the bald area towards the top front of his head. He had such a train track of staples, but every day the incision shows less and less. (Is this good??? Don't guys like to show their battle wounds??)

The native gals we visit with in the waiting room are also Yupik, so I am hoping they get to meet the little gentleman. They were very interested in hearing him sing from his hymn book. Oh...he played his harmonica for us (after telling us a story)...and it sounded like he was a duet or a trio. It was lovely.

The one gal is here for her sister (and staying with her cousin who lives in Anchorage). Her sister is very very sick with an infection that has invaded her blood stream. Her fingers and toes are beginning to be destroyed.... we thought it was frost bite, but it is from the infection in her body. She is only 35. Her name is Pauline. Her sister's name is Darlene.

Way past my "hoped for" bedtime, so I'll say goodnight.........Love,M

No comments: