Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 16

"Sixteen "tons" and what do you get?? Another day older and deeper in debt....." Hmmm, quoting that song probably dates me as "old." Having Stan "another day older" is a real blessing!!

And today, PTL, was a better day. AND we're hoping for an even better day tomorrow!!! "Joy cometh in the morning!" Stan was stable enough to have a CAT scan, and it showed improvement in his head. His chest is still being stubborn. I asked what the criteria was for getting out of CCU, and it is his lungs that are keeping him captive. They have a long way to go to heal.

However, his numbers were ALL good ALL day today, even after the scan and after being taken off the paralytic meds. He is still heavily sedated with Fentenal and Ativan, but is no longer unable to move a muscle. He "twitched" his eyelids several times tonight. He still has the ventilator and feeding tube, etc. He is being fed again. They had to stop that for a couple of days. We are "dancing in the street" tonight. Hopefully, we'll be setting off a celebration of fireworks soon!

A friend showed me the scans from today and the other two since surgery on a split screen so I could compare. The radiologists had typed numbers on them so it was easy to know there is a difference. The scan on Nov. 19 showed a shift or swell that pushed over the midline by 11.?? mm. On Nov. 22 it was 12.2?, but today's showed 9.89...PTL!!

The neurologist did remind me today that this is a long road we'll be traveling. (I always wanted to travel more....so I am ready!) However, I think I'll leave the time factor up to God. He knows more than the doctor or me!

Basically THAT is the news of the day. I had other super news today involving a good friend's health, so my day was pretty good.

Andy brought Luke in early because Grace was teaching today, so I was royally entertained by him and Shelby Titus. What fun! I am hoping Brooke will soon be able to come to the hospital for another visit. She and Shelby have a lot of fun together, too. Of course, it is BRIAN that Shelby really comes to see!!! heehee....He draws her pictures to color...and they both enjoy it. (For you "out of staters" ... Shelby is five! She taught me a new song and dance yesterday. I would just love to show it to you!)

They served mashed spuds, gravey, and meatloaf in the cafeteria for lunch today...and it was Good! Boy, what Pete and I had a few days ago was NOT.

This weekend is the men's retreat with Murph being the guest speaker. Stan was really looking forward to it, but I told Deryl and Rick he probably wouldn't be able to make it.

(Murph is a friend who is now preaching in Hepner, OR.........)

Deryl, our minister, took Andy and Pete out shooting yesterday for some R and R. Now why do you suppose he thought Stan's sons would enjoy such an activity???

The "new" neurologist asked me today if I had any family here....or anyone to give me support. He mentioned that I was the only one he ever saw. (Of course, he has only seen me in Stan's room and only two at a time can be in there.) It was very caring of him, but startled me, since I am sure I have more support at this time than most people can ever conceive of!! There is always someone here for me. Always!! In fact, Deryl beat me to the hospital today. Just today there was Deryl, Dave B., Pete, Andy, Luke, Mandy, Shelby, Brian, Phil, Grace, Katrina, Ashley, Dave T., John T., Dave and Katie M.....plus a call from the IBEW asking what they could do for me, and a note from Kathy telling me why she couldn't be there. If you've counted...that is 16 visitors (interesting, 16 on day 16...think there'll be 17 tomorrow??) AND I think today was the least of any day of all. I see the Dave's are the winners today. Usually it is Johns....sometimes as many as five Johns at one time!!!

Speaking of names...a bit of trivia.... I am beginning to think all of Stan's nurses are named Kathy or a derivity of Christine. I say "little blond Kathy", "little brunette Kathy", "tall Kathy", etc... We love them all!!!

I didn't fall asleep once writing this. Sorry to not be more entertaining..........maybe tomorrow night! heehee

Love you all, M

No comments: