Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 12

Today started out pretty good, but ended a bit sad. Stan's numbers were great and he was pretty "calm" until about 2 p.m. It seems like he had lots of struggling with breathing and oxygen levels for the rest of the day. I can't even remember how many times the "whole" floor crew seemed to be in his room...to turn him, suction him, medicate him, adjust his oxygen, etc...do whatever they could to get him to relax so he can heal. We had had good news about two, also. I was rubbing his legs to try to get some of the fluid out...wearing my bright yellow robe and blue rubber gloves....when the doctor came in and said I didn't have to wear them anymore, he was being taken out of isolation!! His lung (sputum) culture IS staph, but not the very difficult to treat strain!! All his other cultures are negative.

But when I left him about 11 p.m. he was struggling for each breath, even tho his numbers were good. He is scheduled for a CAT scan Monday morning. Hopefully, there will be some improvement.

Today was the day I had purchased tickets to the Nutcracker. I like to get the "train" seats ....a balcony of ten seats in a row, one behind the other, and totally separate from where anyone else sits. I bought all ten seats even tho there were just nine of us going so we could have the entire section. (This was days before Stan's stroke.) How fortunate that I had all ten. When today arrived I gave Cheri my ticket and Sara was able to use the extra ticket (or was it the other way around????) . I had been wishing they could join us for this event that we enjoy every year...kind of a "kick off" to the season!! I stayed at the hospital and they did what I really wanted them to do..... Then they all came back to the hospital to see Papa.

There was a pot luck and memorial service at church today (for a lady who died a couple of weeks ago.) Phil, Brian, Angie, Cheri, and Sara...brought me a plate of food from the church that was delicious...........but (probably more info than you care to know) I don't treat it very nicely. I have about a 30 minute holding time, and then I hit the little girl's room.

I forgot to mention the weather!! Yesterday I had to clean off at least five inches of new snow!! I hate that when I am ready to go, I have that job to do. The snow was really "heavy"....wet....real snow man making snow, and I didn't have time to make a snowman!! This morning there was no new snow. I still didn't get a newspaper...the deliverer must be a real "chechako"....our drive way is not THAT difficult! Coming home to night was a "little hairy"....there were some pretty slick spots on our road.

Sara sang a couple of hymns to Stan before leaving tonight. BEAUTIFUL!! I think Ashley went in later and sang to him, but I didn't get to hear her.....I KNOW it was beautiful, too!!

Cheri and Sara are winging their way home right now. We will miss them a lot. Pete has opted to stay for now. It is pretty hard to leave with Stan still not able to respond. I hope the cat scan will show improvement, and I especially hope we'll get him awake soon. They have to keep sedating him because of his oxygen. and / or pain. I just hope it doesn't keep up, or he will never get awake enough to respond to us.

The lung doctor did state irrevocably today that his lung would get better. We have to concentrate on his brain.

Thank you again for all the prayers!! Puh-lease do NOT stop now!!!

Love, M

No comments: