Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Sunday

Happy Easter!!




Written Saturday morning, March 22:

Allen A Dale (in Robin Hood) sings, 'Life goes on and on...' and so it does. Isn't that wonderful!!

Stan's progress doesn't seem as dramatic to me these days as it did a couple of months ago....but Thursday was a biggie!!
The PT and OT were here working on him (with him) and had him up in his recliner (non reclined). We all noted how straight up he was
staying and how he held his head up (usually it is drooped over to the left). We even noted that once when he put his head down, he i
mmediately lifted it back up. I hated to put him back to bed because he looked so GOOD sitting there. But, the gal who comes twice a week
to bathe him was coming soon and her job doesn't work in the chair. So back to bed we put him....using the Hoyer lift, of course. He is all
squashed up in it, and is always relieved to be free of it when released! We lowered him to the bed and as we removed the loops from the
Hoyer that held his head, he didn't flop back on the bed. Instead, he stayed half sitting with his head up. When he did lie back on the bed,
he would lift his head up more than six inches off the bed!! He did this for us several times. This is a huge FIRST since before the stroke!!
He hasn't continued to lift it quite as far the last two days, but still has much more freedom of movement and does lift it more than two or
three inches up....also something he hadn't done since the stroke.

Maria, the OT, took a 3 day seminar last weekend...something to do with muscle release or relaxation. It is very NON invasive....and another
thing we noted that day....it was first time since he could talk again that he said his neck didn't hurt!!! So, I do have exciting news to share!!!

Another thing that visitors and our kids have noted....his speech is clearer AND not so repetitive. He talked to Uncle Don on the phone this week
for several minutes without repeating words. He still gets a bit fast, but he is using full LONG sentences and telling events very well. I forget that
this is an improvement because I am hearing it everyday.... But it is a big improvement just since he's been home!!

His left leg is doing a lot of 'jerking' that he insists is reflex action....but this is new, and is happening several times a day.....so I am hoping that it is
a good sign. His left hand wants to 'claw' but can be worked or massaged out of it....which we do several times a day. I took the ball away because
I didn't want him throwing it in the house and breaking something....but I am giving it back! He was doing such accurate aiming in the hospital, that it
would be good eye / hand coordination therapy!! I'll just move all the bottles of stuff, pictures, etc to behind him! TADA!!!

The therapists told me on Thursday that they may not be able to continue treating him after mid April because medicare only funds them for 60 day
increments. Stan has to show a marked progress toward a goal for them to be allowed a second 60 day period. The goal is totally unrealistic for a severe
stroke patient...but if we continue to work with him and he continues to progress, they will reassess him in a year and maybe be able to return.

Everyday I learn a little more about the 'rules' that the system demands. Another strange one is the 'pillow.' The PT brought this amazing air pillow....they
are pretty expensive but she has loaned him hers. She checked and found that medicare only pays for one for patients who have bedsores!!! I told her I was
not going to allow Stan to get a bed sore if I could help it!! She is working on getting me a 'deal' for one of the cushions. She said she would bargain for some
kind of a discount!! PTL When he sits on it in his chair he doesn't fuss about getting back into bed. It takes a lot of stress off his buttocks!! I'll have to take
a picture of it....and if I ever get my ability to scan back...I'll send it along for you to see.

Well....while Stan is progressing beautifully....I do believe I am 'regressing' badly!!! My driver's license expired on my birthday, but I didn't notice....so until
it was brought to my attention a couple of weeks later, I was driving illegally! I finally got to the DMV this week to get that corrected. I actually liked the
photo on my expired card, and since it was just taken about a year ago, I had hope to get the sticker for the back of my license. I was told they don't do
that anymore!! Everyone has to come in and have a new picture EACH renewal...and instead of ten years, they are now just good for five years. (Is this
a 9/11 thing???)

Of course, the new picture is not a good one!! Well, from there I went to Costco to renew that membership....and WANTED a new picture. The one on my
Costco card is a 'runaway winner' for the ugliest picture ever taken anywhere!!! But...NO.... no new photo....the card is just updated in the computer after
the fees are paid!! Where is the fairness in this world!!

Well....I was using a 'Stan sitter' so I could get this stuff done, and also was desparate to get to the post office with Easter packages for grandchildren
that live elsewhere. I ran out of time, so had to repeat the challenge the next day...Wednesday. Pete was doing the sitting and needed me home in time
for him to get to church. However, he didn't arrive until 2 p.m. and I didn't get out of the driveway until 2:30....so I was pretty rushed with what I needed to do.

I had to go to the IBEW pension office to prove Stan was still alive and receiving his pension etc. It's an every year thing, only this time HE couldn't go...and
it has to be signed in front of a notary... I had attempted to do this a month ago, but forgot to take the Power of Attorney with me.

I did that, and on my way to the post office I was going right past the Lake Otis Pharmacy so I decided to make a quick stop to check on the status of the
Texas catheter the church is buying for us!! Joe (the pharmacist) had said he would call me with info last Friday, but here it was Wednesday and I hadn't heard
from him. Well.... I hurried into the store, and as I entered I patted my pockets (something I do to check on my car key!!) but my pockets were empty!! As
the realization of what I must have done dawned on me, I uttered (almost under my breath) 'Oh no, Oh no!' A couple standing at the prescription window heard me,
and the man said, 'That doesn't sound very good.' I said I thought I'd locked my key in the car....and I ran out to check. OH YES! I had locked the car with the
key in the ignition AND the car was still running!!

Back in the pharmacy, the gal working there offered to call me a lock smith. Another customer said we should call a cab, because the locksmith charges $80 to
$100 and the cab charges $20 to $25. The couple who first noticed my delemma said he used to be a policeman (NC I think) and they always did it for free. So
the consensus was for me to first call the police for help. The pharmacy gal gave me the phone...she was hesitant to call the police. I was waiting for a phone
number and probably looked pretty stressed, because the lady of the 'first couple' said, 'I'll make the phone call for you.' She took the phone and called the police,
only to be told they can't do that, but that she should call a cab. While she was calling the cab, I had my conversation with Joe, AND asked him if he had a slim jim.
He didn't, but offered to look at the car....only I told him it was okay, that a cab was coming. At some point during the discussion about who to call, someone asked
me if I had another key. I said yes, but that my husband had a bad stroke and so no one was available to bring me the key.

I went outside to wait for the cab driver. Joe told me to wait inside where it was warm, but I was way OVER heated by now and outside felt good. The temperature
thing across the street said it was 29 degrees out!! And, NO, I wasn't wearing a coat....but trust me, I wasn't cold.

When the cab finally got there (about 20 minutes later) I told him that my car was running, too! He commented that that was great, because then he would just
have to touch the window and it would roll down. Later as he was using a wedge to pry the passenger door open a bit and put a wire throught the opening to grab
the door handle....I said, 'Were you just funning me?' He said, 'No, with the engine running there was a way to activate the automatic locks...but my locks are manual!!!'
He did get hold of the door handle, but they won't open even from the inside when locked.... So next he got hold of the window handle and managed to roll it down
an inch or so, got hold of the button...and VOILA! he opened the door. As soon as the door was opened, the lady of the 'first couple' was out the door like a shot,
and telling me that I wasn't paying for this, her husband was!! She told the cab driver to go inside and see the man with the cane, and he would pay him. I didn't
even get a chance to refuse her offer!! I could afford to pay for my own 'stupidity' but she would not allow it. Until then, I had held myself together quite admirably...but
the tears started flowing. I told her (amongst the hugs she was giving) that until she said that, I was 'okay,' but now I couldn't stop crying. What is with me...I
NEVER cry!! This is twice in a week!! The first time was frustration, this time was emotional due to unexpected love. And my angels were NOT done with me yet.
When I got to the post office, I had seven boxes to carry in. I was carefully stacking them on the hood of the car into a configuration that I could get hold of all
in one trip...when I noticed a couple leave the post office and walk past me to their car. We were parked about half a city block from the door...and I didn't want
anyone to feel obligated to help me AGAIN! so I made sure to not make any eye contact. I must have looked pathetic!! heehee I did manage to pick up all the
boxes and proceed to the door in one piece and very proud of my ability....but as I approached the door, I realized it was a 'pull to open' situation. Before I could
even think of a solution, I heard footsteps running, and here was the man from the couple, hurrying to open that door and the one inside the arctic entry, too!!!
Isn't God good to me!!!

I do begin to wonder what I'll do NEXT to require Him to show me how many wonderful people he has out there for me!!

We also received two phone calls this week from persons in the community who LOVE Stan, and had just heard of his stroke. He has had far more reaching
influence than even I knew. I knew that he was more than just a customer to his chiropractor and to his speciality wood store owner....but to hear their
testimony of what he means to them is really wonderful. I was told his chiropractor sat down and bawled when he heard. I was also told by both his office
gal and by the owner of the Hardwood store that they would do anything to help. (Amy said she would come sit with him so I could get out!! Dr. Como's office
said he would treat him anytime for free....etc.) I KNEW he was (IS) a wonderful person, but all the testimonies I've had from people whose lives he has touched
are amazing!!

He WILL walk again!! But we have a lot of work to do to help God with the miracle!! So please keep praying....

Love, M

It is now evening of the same day:

Laura, Sara, and Abigail came to visit....bringing some of her delicious rolls for me (I hinted!!) along with some ham and a beautiful plant. I was able to give
the girls their baskets and see them open them. They are growing into such lovely young ladies!!!

While they were here, Cory brought a beautiful arrangement he had made for an Easter gift to Stan from the church. He came in and visited with Stan
a little and I showed him how pretty my birthday arrangement still is....almost a month old now!! I love his arrangements!! While they were all here I showed
them how I get Stan back in bed from his recliner. (I had put him in the chair after breakfast so I could change his bedding. *By myself* until time to lower him into the chair...then I fetched Phil to help. ''''brag'''')

They were quite impressed with the pillow/cushion until I told them the cost!! Stan was in the chair for over five hours....much longer than any time to
date!!...and with NOT ONE complaint or plea to be back in bed!! That cushion is a miracle!

Brian came this evening to set up the computer for us to 'be at church' in the morning, but couldn't get our computer to comply. So Pete, who is at the
church building right now, as is Alex... is setting up his lap top and will bring it for us to use. Awwwwwwww...modern technology, the good, bad, and frustrating!!

Grace just arrived after taking Andy to work. She brought some of her little yummy cheese cakes...and Stan will be able to eat them, too! She and I are going
to sit him up on the side of the bed. Brian just finished the range of motion exercises with him, so he should be plenty ready to sleep tonight!!!

Phone calls from Nelda and Cheri made this still more a 'red letter' day. And Phil and Kacee doing my shopping was a huge help, even if he did get a HUGE
jar of Miracle Whip instead of a quart!


And so ends (or will in about 3 hours) another day in the life of the Anchorage Knowltons.

No comments: