Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Day 69

A new "experiment" ... I am at the hospital using Pete's laptop computer. I am not very good on laptops. Pete is sweeping the floor (popcorn that Cannon spilled...Cheri is pointing out what he misses...) Brian is trying to suction Stan's mouth
and the vacuum suction just stopped. With the help of two nurses they got it working... Now he is getting insulin shots. He slept thru lunch and ate a little of it around four p.m. I chose to feed him "cold" stuff rather than have
it warmed in the microwave. James (his CNA) came in and told me he would warm it. I said I didn't like warming food in microwaves, that I felt
they changed the structure of food. Later when James was going to wash him, he said he would be right back ...that he wanted to warm up the wipes because the cold ones kind of
shocked Stan. Stan commented, "He can use the microwave, it won't change the food structure in them." His sense of humor is still very intact.

So much for that "new experiment"... I am home now. The wind is howling. Yesterday when Kathy got home a large spruce tree had fallen across her
driveway and also "took out" her deck. It sounds like I could lose one or two tonight! I do NOT like the wind, Sam I Am!
Stan drank a whole can of Glucerna tonight. And Brian gave him some coke. There is NO way he can drink a whole can....or even half a can.... so
does anyone want the left overs???

Paula brought in a cutting board that her nephews had made and "sold" to her on eBay..... She was their "guinea pig" for setting up an eBay
account to sell things. It is made of beautiful wood, and Stan really enjoyed seeing it.

Oh, Stan is able to suction his own mouth now when needed. We still have to hand him the thing, but he can direct it to his mouth
and knows just where to use it. We were always accidentally hitting his gag area.

He also has the kind of "nurse call thing" that Kathy had been asking for all along. It is a ball or bulb on the end of a "hose" that
all he has to do is squeeze for the light to come on over his door. We placed it above his head hanging on the "trapeze" handle. He
successfully worked it several times today, so I think he will be able to use it at night. He had said that he couldn't get anyone's
attention in the night. I do hope this works.

The lights are flickering. I do hope we don't lose power. We have been so blessed over the years.... very few outages, and all were short lived.

The wind brings warm weather...or warm weather causes the wind.... It was 44 at 11 p.m. on our way home!!!

Remember the song Molly wrote....?? Here is Sheila's rendition...same tune, "Do Your Ears Hang Low" :
OK, that was an awesome song. I wrote my own, but I dont
think it's quite as good, but in the spirit of all of us singing together, here
goes! Do you wanna go home,sleep and eat and get some rest,
Do you wanna go home, where your sure to feel your
best?Are you racing to the car,like a doggy with a bone... Do you wanna.....go.....home!? Ok, that's the extent of what I can do in 2
minutes! love, Sheila
Love, M

No comments: