Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 9 Thanksgiving!

This will be a little different because I wrote it in response to a friend's email. There was a letter attached to his that his daughter wrote and it was such a beautiful letter, I had to send it to everyone. I am trying to edit out the little bit of "family" stuff she wrote and just leave the inspirational part. Enjoy... I am off to the hospital to see my guy. It has to be a BETTER day!!! Love, M

What an incredibly beautiful letter!! When I get my pictures developed I just may send her one.
I need to write my update for today, but I first have decided to describe "dinner" to you here.

The kids changed their minds (these are BOYS!!! ) and decided they were going to COOK dinner. Andy is a great one for cooking...and has cooked a turkey in hot peanut oil in other years. They said they were going to have a "tail gate party" at the hospital. They brought their propane stove, set it up in the parking lot, and proceeded to cook. Turkey, mashed spuds, gravy, corn, AND dressing. It was delicious, but here is all the best stuff. First, my lovely granddaughters ages 13, 15, and 15 made cookies, 3 kinds of pumpkin pie, an apple pie, and a pear pie. I had never had a pear pie before and it was delicious!! Angie made her yummy cranberry salad and had cooked the ham I had purchased. Deryl and Kelly (our minister and his wife) brought two pies, a home made jello salad, and a home made seven layer salad. Grace tells me that her girls AND Luke (age 2) made the rolls. They brought olives, cranberry sauce, etc..... also cans of spray whipped cream. They had a large cooler full of different beverages. Mark and his girls brought by some of Laura's rolls earlier, too.

The guys (my boys) went shopping and bought a paper table cloth, plates, dessert plates, and cups all matching with beautiful fall colored leaves AND plastic silver ware (heee heee an oxymoron!!) that was orange spoons, yellow forks, and brown knives....and I sure hope NO ONE reads this who was there, because I could surely be wrong on which color was which!!

My lovely gals (granddaughters) set up tables in the hospital cafeteria (they had permission) and spread the table cloth over them and arranged the dishes, cups, silverware, and napkins. OH...did I mention Napkins??? They matched, too.

We gathered around the table in a large circle and Andy asked God's blessing on the food and Stan. We had other tables pulled together for our sit down dinner.
Talk about a loving family and lovely dinner!!!

There was much visiting and laughter, and then my friend Kathy came in (she had been invited, but thought she was coming AFTER dinner!! The cooking slowed things down for us.) She visited with us and then when I said I had all six of my children there and wished I hadn't run out of film so that I coud get a pix of all six together....a pretty RARE event ... she organized a photo shoot. She checked all kids and found Brian had brought his camera. It is digital so has a lot of space for photos. She moved chairs out of the way, set up a good background, organized us into a decent pose position, and Voila!!! A family photo to put by Stan's bed when he opens his eyes!

She and the kids cleaned it all up while I sat. Amazing, isn't it!!!

We were at the beginning of the cafeteria, the cafeteria was serving free dinners all afternoon, and when doctors, nurses, and patient's families would come to eat, they would see our spread and think that was it. We never hesitated to invite them. We had tons of food. When all was "said and done" we had a pumpkin pie that had Not been cut, so we took it, along with "silver" ware, dessert plates, napkins, canned whipped cream, etc.to the CCU nurses' station.(Kathy's suggestion). The nurses were overjoyed.

It would have been the MOST perfect T. day ever, if only Stan had been with us, instead of fighting for his life four floors up.

I guess I'll go ahead and try to write the report here and then cut and paste to others.

I got there early and found my guy "much worse." His lungs are really sick. The neurosurgeon had ordered a CAT scan of his head, but they could not get his lungs stable enough to stand the trip to the radiation unit. The pulmonary doctor arrived, told them to shut off certain meds that were likely to counteract with some others he was getting. Then he told the nurses to re-paralyze Stan....and to get him some sedative, so he could make the trip to the radiation area and get a CAT scan of his lungs....and of course, his head, too, while there.

We were advised that a clot would cause VERY serious complications because the treatment for a clot is blood thinners, and there was NO WAY Stan could be given a blood thinner.

When I learned that I probably would not be able to see a doctor the rest of that day, and that it would be tomorrow before getting to see the scans results...we gave the nurse my cell phone number, and went to enjoy the big spread above.

When we went back up to CCU, we weren't able to get any news at first, but he was calmed down from the scan excursion. Near time that we are "kicked out" while the shift change happens, I was shown on the computer that the scans had been read and "interpreted" and entered into the computer. We haven't talked to a doctor yet, for their official diagnosis...but according to the nurse and computer, their is NO clot. This is a very guarded "hooray."

Before leaving for the night, we took our turns at telling Stan good night. While in there, his cooling blanket wasn't working and his temp was going up. Two large women nurses moved him around.....literally rolling him way over to each side, in the attempt to fill the cooling blanket or remove it to fill. They finally got it out from under him, filled it with water, and had so much fun with it. (I am sitting here laughing at myself!! Where in the world that last sentence came from...NOBODY knows!! I don't think they had fun with it!! I fell asleep typing! Decided to leave it in to give you a chuckle!)

They left the blanket on top of him for the evening. Maybe that was fun....heehee... Stan would say, "You're getting silly, go to bed."

Basically, I might as well. I am not sure what else I might type in my sleep. Our day ended with the kids following me up the hill and getting the fabric I had purchased to make Christmas outfits for my girls. Since I do not see any possibility of my sewing them, they are going to do it. They are so very talented, and Cheri went home to Grace and Andy's with them to help.

Most days, because he can only have two visitors at a time and we weren't allowed to touch or talk to him, I have been out in the waiting room greeting visitors and telling whatever I know of Stan's prognosis...and just going in about once every hour or two to check on him throughout the day....and letting others have a turn visiting him. Today was so scary, I spent most of it in his room. Please pray especially for his lungs. His brain we will deal with later!!! Thank you!!

Love, M

Dearest Family,
Y'all are on my mind this a.m. as we gather mostly in seperate places to celebrate and give thanks to God for his goodness to us.
Jodi and I are headed to Oakland in an hour or so, looking forward to meeting the baby of the family, Noah. Counting on some good fun, great food, and sweet fellowship. Kevin, Jenni, Trevin and Kaden get to come for part of the day.
Jamie and Jeff and four other guys are doing a make-over on a house in Camalu, Mexico for a mom and six kids.
Here's my verses for the day.
Psalm 16: 5 & 6 "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."
I am ever so grateful that God loves me and cares about my concerns and wants to use me (of all things) to make His name more well-known and admired.
I'm wondering what you are most grateful for today.
love, Ilene
Hey. I hope to get some pics today and post them online. Would love to see what your thanksgiving looks like.

No comments: