Thursday, December 13, 2007

Day 29

Dear Ones....

I don't want to write today....

Stan is still "out" but his numbers are staying "good." He is having the feeding tube inserted into his stomach and taken out of his nose tomorrow. He has a new rash...kind of measley looking on his arms between his wrists and elbows. This has nothing to do with the blotches. The only doctor I saw today was the surgeon who will be inserting the feeding tube. I had questions to ask, but the only one I was able to ask is "can the tube wait until after Friday?" That is because we are hoping to have him wake up, and if he is re-sedated, it will be a step backward. The doctor assured me that it will be a tiny bit of short lived sedative, and a local thing to deaden the area on his stomach where they make a 1/2 inch incision. So I signed.....

Both occupational therapy and physical therapy were taught to me today... I am to do 3 reps 3 times a day on his feet and legs, and 5 reps 3 times a day on his arms. His muscle tone seems to be nonexistant. I have been working on his fingers and arms and a little on his feet all along. We need to keep his joints from stiffening.

We seem to be allowed to stay even during the shift change in the evenings now. I'm not sure that is an encouraging sign.... But I will NOT lose hope!!

My heart is aching pretty badly tho. Both Amy (expected) and Eddie died. I didn't have much contact with Amy's son, but Nancy I have been very close through this last month. Eddie just died about 8 tonight.

Johnny, my little Yupik friend, is now able to stay in his brother's room. They moved him from CCU to the heart floor today. They put in a roll a way bed for Johnny. I am so glad that God blessed me with the ability to get him a room for the last four nights. All day long he sits in his brother's CCU room and looks so worried. Today he has a smile, and again prayed for Stan and thanked God that God let him meet me. Isn't that wonderful!!! He held my hand and Pete's and Andy and Brian were there with us and joined in a circle. I just love the way he prays for my white man and asks God to "fix" him. I love all your prayers, but this simple little man is such a gift from God.

I wish I knew Amy's son's name, but I don't. I told Nancy that you would be praying for her. In her 34 years of marriage they even worked together, so were almost never apart. This will be very hard for her. They have no children because he wasn't able, but she told me she knew that but decided she would rather have him and no children than no him. It is so wonderful to see such dedication and love. She was with him all day every day.....for 28 days here.

I would really appreciate it if you would keep my sister Jeanne in prayer, too, especially tomorrow (the 13th) because she will be traveling home from Tulsa. That is the plan anyway. But I understand she is very weak right now. (For any who don't know, she has lung cancer and is just finishing another round of chemo. She lives in Oregon. Her husband and daughter in law have traveled to Tulsa to get her. Lane did tell me that it took people to replace me. It is hard for me to not be there for her.)

There is another prayer request.... Roger Buck had a heart attack a few days ago, and I just heard he has taken a turn for the worse. He and his wife Sue are Christians in Eugene....many of you know them.

Thank you for keeping this vigil with me and my kids. We are told that the road ahead is a very long one. I won't do daily emails for years, but for now, I hope you all don't mind staying in tune with me. I am comforted by all your support. Thank you.

Love, M


i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference. Learn more

No comments: